Thailand Jungle Survival
Sok is our primary destination for jungle survival courses as the
terrain is very rugged and this is the largest area of old-growth
jungle in Southern Thailand.
based in Phuket and trips to Khao
Sok generally start in Phuket. We can arrange
transfers from elsewhere. Transfers from Phuket are included in the
price of the tour.
National Park jungle survival courses also include our standard tour
activities such as kayaking, wildlife-spotting and hiking (trekking)
to the viewpoint
and the Nam
- Pick up anywhere in Phuket at approximately 7:30 AM (depending on
where you are staying)
- Transfer to the dam at Chiew Larn Reservoir at Khao Sok National
- 90 minute boat transfer to the remote floating bungalows
- Short paddle and discussion about prioritizing
- Back to the bungalows for lunch
- Afternoon walk in the jungle to find water
sources and learn more about bamboo
- Working with knives and the benefits of the Thai jungle knife
- Back to the bungalows and out for a sunset wildlife-spotting paddle
fire, using a knife
- Sunrise wildlife-spotting paddle
- Return to the bungalows for breakfast
- Hike to the viewpoint, learning about the various plants and how
to safely travel on rugged terrain
- Back to the support boat (used to transfer to the viewpoint) for
- Transfer to the cascading creek for a trek in very steep terrain
- Transfer back to the bungalows and prepare for an afternoon paddle
safely on rough terrain, making natural rope, water from vines, wild
- After breakfast, transfer to an island and spend the first half
of the day learning how to lash bamboo and build a bamboo shelter
- Transfer back the bungalows and learn how to make a hammock out
of one piece of bamboo
- If you are on a three-day trip, go for a short paddle and prepare
to return to Phuket
- If you are on a longer course, go fishing using only the tools (fishing
gear) found in the survival kit
focus: making shelter, survival fishing
- After breakfast, transfer to the Nam Taloo Cave.
- Return to the bungalows for lunch
- Afternoon trek on a trail that has a lot of evidence of large mammals. Learn about animal signs.
- We'll identify several common wild edible plants and insects along this trail
- If you are on a four-day trip, prepare to return to Phuket
- If you are on a longer trip, do an afternoon wildlife-spotting paddle
focus: traveling safely through a cave, trekking, edible plants and insects
- Sunrise paddle
- Mountain trek in a different part of the park. Learn more about
wild edible plants
- Work on trying to produce a friction fire
- Have lunch at the support boat or in the jungle
- Continue training in this mountain area
- Return to bungalows and prepare to return to Phuket
focus: friction fire, wild food
and customizing: Though
not listed in detail, the above itinerary is a rough guideline for
the programs offered.
If you would prefer a more rigorous program, the
paddling option can be eliminated or lessened. If you would prefer
a more casual program that takes more advantage of
the abundant wildlife found in this amazing national park.
On more rigorous programs, you have the option of learning all that
is listed on this
page. On less intense programs you focus on the
most essential elements.
mission with this endeavor is to help you build the confidence
to stay calm if you ever find yourself lost. You should be able to
analyze your situation and figure out the best course of action.
Our method is to teach you common sense survival
that is regional-specific (tropical Asian jungles), but can still
be adapted to elsewhere. There is a lot of misinformation about what
is essential in a survival situation and what priorities
should be addressed in order of importance. Our approach is always
energy conservation first.
web pages to check out:
Definitely check out the shots taken by professional
photographer Frits Meyst of Adventure4ever.
a map of Cheow
bungalows that we use are in one of the most remote
parts of the park.
Click here to see a jungle
survival image gallery.
out the various videos on our YouTube
See our tour
prices list for prices.
Or, you can choose from
some smaller national parks or conservation areas. Contact
us for details.
our Facebook Jungle Survival goup. It focuses on logical,
compassionate and low impact methods to survive by cooperating
with Mother Nature. Click on the icon.
out our YouTube videos on survival skills. This one is about
Jungle Knife, as used on Dual Survival
"Bitten" episode of Season 2. Here is one about
making a bamboo
floor. This one is about a bamboo
fire saw. Here is one about the wild
edible plants that are in my yard in
Bytheway, "Raksaht" is Thai for "Love
reading: The US
Navy Seal Survival Handbook covers a
wide range of topics as well as the issues in various climates.
This books is well-written and easy to read. There is no
shortage of nice color photos.
The first 41 pages covers the types of training that Seals
do. They are certainly hardcore, but this is of course not
a prerequiste for being able to survive in the jungle. It
a quite a bit to the tropical section of this book as well.
concentrate on honing our safety sense, outdoor skills and
getting certified to international standards.
is a BCU Level
2 Coach and is the most experienced paddler in Southern
is a EFR Instructor
Dave is a certified
Tel/fax: +66 76 241519
Dave's mobile: 081 8936558
Moo's mobile: 081 7974855
Authority of Thailand License Number 31/0204
Insurance by New Hampshire Insurance Co. of Manchester New Hampshire